Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Life of an Aspiring Startup

Hey everybody, I'm back again!

So friends who i have already met up with know that after my last venture in my previous company, I have decided to run my own business full time, and I have decided to run an online gift basket business because startup is RELATIVELY low as compared to other businesses, and also it is a pretty niche market in Singapore currently.

I'm gonna be recording down my experiences trying to start up my own business with no degree nor prior experience, I think blogging will keep me disciplined in tracking my progress and perhaps inspire other aspiring entrepreneurs to take the same leap. :D

So here goes...


Week 1 -

I'm quite blur about what is required to start this business. I am not very willing to open myself up to ask for help either which I KNOW is my weakness..... Ill just try to do everything on my own for now. Even though my dad is running is own business, but the nature of his business differs so much from the type of business that I want to do, and he's very busy anyway so I wouldnt want to rely on him too much. Of course, I do learn from him from the sidelines watching how business dealings take place, the transactions and the (shitload of) paperwork that needs to be done and its really interesting. One key thing I have learnt from watching him? Trust wisely, and dont be too ready to reveal anything. It had stuck with me till this day.

Bought a "How to Start and Run Your Own Business for Dummies" book with the gift voucher I received for Christmas and trying to follow it. It is easy to read but challenging to understand and apply. Have been in and out of office with a dazed look on my face like someone just punched me because of all that reading. I may be dummer than a dummy for now but IM GONNA PERSEVERE THROUGH THIS.



Have already decided on my business name, logo and branding. Now I need to sort up my finances and complete my business plan. Really wish I could just forget about all the finance shit and just run free but if I do that I just know that both me and my business would die a few years later as a consequence.

Have planned a sourcing trip to the Great Land of China with my Dad in March, and another holiday to New York in end April with my mum. The best time about running your own business is having the freedom to do whatever you want at your own calling. No one is going to nag at you for taking too many trips, or scold you for being a prick, or nitpick at every thing you try to do, which is awesome. But you need a lot of discipline to follow through. You answer to no one but yourself. Then eventually your customers. And your employees. And your investors. That's a story for the near future :D

Have been considering to take up a few things:

1. Driving lessons
- My dad is blind in one eye, so my mum does most of the chauffeuring. Itll help the family a lot if I knew how to drive so yup gonna take it up.

2. Volunteering with Little Heroes Dreams
- It is one of my lifelong goals to help kids in need, because I think every kid deserves the opportunity to make choices as to what they wish to become no matter what background they came from. It is also a very good self-reminder as to appreciate what I currently have, other kids arent as fortunate,

3. Get a public speaking certificate
- I love watching Ted videos and watching those really great speakers deliver powerful messages and inspire those who listen. I think public speaking is one of the most important skills anyone should cultivate, it will boost your confidence by leaps and bounds, and more importantly, able to increase your power of influence over people.

4. Get a DEGREE
- well, after 2 years of fighting with my loved ones about whether getting a degree is important, Im starting to think that well it actually IS very important in order to get a good paying starting job. Even if I'm terribly against the idea of a 9-5 deskbound job, but the money accumulated at the beginning stages of my work is essential in sustaining the cashflow of my startup. Also, the people that I get to mix around with during my classes and camps are invaluable sources of networks that I get to build, and eventually key in building my business.
- Now, instead of wanting to pursue a business degree, I'm thinking of whether I should take either a degree in either computer science, design or communications. Would the teachers allow me to take all? Haha. I wish man.




Going to rest now. Toodles~

No comments:

Post a Comment