Sunday, March 11, 2012

You are so beautiful.

Before every post, I will always talk about my inspirations behind it. Today's post is particular is derived from my annoyance at someone's blog, who always only equates skinny long legged women as gorgeous. Well, i dont have anything against that, but dont you have any OTHER forms of beauty to talk about besides those that you and i can never reach? Then, i started to think deeper into the topic.

Beauty is subjective. That's what we all say.

But the harsh truth is, we define beauty as this:

 Yes. I know she's hot. I have been staring at this picture for a long time too. The lingerie's gorgeously made.

What about this?:

Dubbed the World's Ugliest Girl.

Our typical loser.
 (ok i get more and more pissed off as i stare at this picture coz its just not right, especially since i have been through this myself. FUUU)


Honestly, I myself cant even come up with a proper argument that i was intending to. Why do we naturally separate These people from Those people? Why is beauty defined that way?


I did some research on this, and here is what I have found.

"I think it's about conformity. I question whether it really is about beauty. I don't think it's beautiful. I've been in advertising for 25 years. 

And I've spent a lot of time as an art director in the studios cutting bodies and seeing bodies cut: Cherie Blair, 30lb off her hips. She probably didn't know it was happening. It's just the normal process. 

The manipulation that women live with now and have done for the last 15-20 years is just huge, and it's becoming more and more normal. It's not even artistic any more; it's certainly not beautiful. It's just machined." - Robin Smith.


and also another quote that i find meaningful:

"What I saw when I was in advertising was that if you tell a woman she's old, fat and ugly she'll spend a fortune making herself young, thin and beautiful. Tell a woman she's absolutely fine and she won't spend a penny." - Kiki Hendrick.

But when and why did the media start promoting what beauty was like? How did it manage to influence so many people? Are people ever going to value themselves like how much they are worth?


So many questions I have, but no answers. Anyone cares to share their thoughts on this, coz my brain is sorta dead now...... its a freaking 4.30am in the morning.

 
Just a few days ago, my GP class was having a discussion on what beauty is to us. Many of my friends said that beauty isnt about looks, but about your talent and your personality, or even the way you portray yourself. 

Their statements got me thinking. Really? Is that what beauty really means to you? Then why is it that those pretty girls and handsome boys are the ones that we still squeal at in school the whole time? 

And another incident that happened, the boys and I were talking about eye candy in school (no, i dont only hang out with boys, we were waiting for the other girls to come -.-). I asked the boys for their opinions on the girls who were supposedly pretty. They all said that they were extremely easy on the eye, but they act very bitchy, from the way they speak to their actions. But they are still popular! 

Oh, and a real life example where people become more popular (or at least get more positive attention) after getting more physically attractive:

He'll never get a boyfriend! 


Conclusion: Those who are more good looking ARE more successful in life, because the world is superficial, no matter how we look it. Let's all go get surgery :P



Okay, so we all know that supermodels = beauty (in this century). That does not mean that Beauty should be limited to just that. I dont really know how to explain it, but here is one good example of an imperfect beauty:

Elphaba, Wicked Witch of the West. She may have green skin, but she has a damn lotta talent in that body, able to cast spells naturally even when she was young. She also has a heart of gold (but some how her good deeds always manage to turn out wrong). Oh and she can sing her ass off too hehe.

 
I guess in the end, all of us will have to put in some effort to look good, like dieting or shopping, but let's not forget that the way we act is equally important. Sure, some ah lians are kind of good looking (even though most of them arent), but once they open their mouths, your angel image of them is CRUSHED. You wouldnt want that to happen to you, right? :)




This is an extremely long and boring post, ending abruptly here. but im still trying to dig up more information on this subject and will not stop until i can finally say that beauty isnt all about looks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment