Monday, January 27, 2014

Are we really happy? - Work Experience part 1

I just posted up a status on Facebook which said 'New life goal: be a millionare by the time im 35'.

It's unbelieveable, the amount of skepticism that I get when I make that statement. People dont even need to tell me what they are thinking, I already know it. They are all thinking the same thing: That is practically impossible. You? Millionare? We are just slaves for the system, how far do you really think we can go?

But really, just how many people actually believe that they are going to succeed in life?



Before elaborating on my point any further, just gonna share my current work experience which has taught me so much and led me to wanna blog about the topic. (There are going to be 3-4 parts to this, there is too much to write about)

I got kinda tired of my old (still on) job, which is as slack as heck, and wanted to find a new job so that I can gain much more experience. I went to google job searches and happened to find a position of management trainee that a company called Forte Organisation was hiring. The job sounded pretty okay to me, and I honestly wasnt expecting much out of it because of the not-too-good experience at my previous job, so then decided to sign up for it.

Heck, it was the best decision I ever made.

Immediately within two hours when I submitted my resume, I got a call from the company asking for an interview the next day. Imagine the level of efficiency that the company has. Unbelieveable. Then on the day of the interview, I met the lady who has made the largest impact on me in my life so far since the first week I started work: My [temporary] boss, Allison.

The first impression I had of her was: wow, she is so gorgeous and so YOUNG. How the heck did she get up there so fast, and look barely older than my seniors?

During the interview, she kept emphasising on how young I was, and knowing that I didnt know what I really signed myself up for, she started explaining the job scope to me from the start. My heart started to sink when I heard what the job really consisted of. From doing sales, progressing on to training, then finally managing your own company, my first reaction was like 'holy shit, what the fuck did I get myself into?'

Allison then continued to ask if I was planning to continue to the university, which I said yes to (of course I have to get a basic degree), then proceeded to explain that she didnt think that it would be worth it to invest in me because I wasnt going to be staying for very long. I totally understood her POV, any employer would have thought the same way. Besides, I had absolutely ZERO experience in sales and business management, and comparing to my colleagues who were graduates and working people, I wasnt exactly the best person to hire for the company.

When I was already expecting a 'Thank you very much it was so nice meeting you bye bye', she suddenly dropped an offer, which was to put me on probation for 2 weeks to see if I was really worth investing in. I initially didnt know what the heck she was talking about, and when she said 'so I would see you tomorrow at 8 down here' I went 'um whut' (she was speaking a little fast and I was also bombarded with a lot of information which I was a slow in absorbing)

So basically I was offered the most gorgeous of an opportunity for an 18 year old: work amongst people much more experienced than you, of all different age groups and who were very, very good at what they do - closing sales. At that point of time, it didnt really matter whether Allison wanted to keep me or not at the end of two weeks, all I needed was the experience and to learn as much as possible along the way.

So then began my journey in Forte Organisation.




Stay tuned for part 2, this would definitely be a series that I would finish documenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment